Pandan Coconut Ogura Cake

I have always been a fan of any pandan coconut food - Nonya kuehs, chiffons and Kayas etc. And I get attracted to them easily, whether to eat or to bake or cook. Sometimes, I just have the urge to buy pandan leaves, then decide later what I want to do with it. With abundant leaves and eggs, I made kaya last week. 

With leftover pandan extract, I decided to make Pandan Coconut Ogura Cake. Initially, the cake rose well in the oven, but when removed from the oven, it collapsed. I was worried that my cake will be flat with a layer of kueh structure. Fortunately, it looked quite good after it had cooled although the holes were not even. It was soft and fragrant. Despite having placed a water cup in the oven, the oven was still too hot for the meringue. I shall reduce the temperature further if I bake this cake again.
cake_pandancoconutogura2
Recipe for Pandan Coconut Ogura Cake, adapted from Nasi Lemak Lover.
(Makes a 8"round cake)

Ingredients:
4 Egg yolks (original was 5, I used only 4)
1 Whole egg (approx. 65g)
40g Vegetable oil
80g Coconut cream (I used Kara)
10g Pandan extract
Pinch of salt
85g Cake flour, sifted

5 Egg whites
80g Caster sugar
1 tsp Corn flour

Method:
  1. Line an 8" round cake pan. Preheat oven to 150C. Place a cup of water in the oven.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks, whole egg, oil, salt, coconut, pandan extract together till well combined.
  3. Sift in the flour and mix well until no visible lumps. 
  4. In a mixer bowl, add in the egg white and beat till foamy.
  5. Gradually add in the sugar mixed with the corn flour and continue beating till glossy and stiff peaks.
  6. Gently fold in the egg white mixture into the egg yolk mixture in 3 separate portions.
  7. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and place on the 2nd rack in the oven. Bake for 60mins.
  8. Remove from the oven and let it cool completely.
  9. Slice after cooled and serve.
  10. cake_pandancoconutogura1

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Be free with your mind!