By Passionate About Baking on |
My baking group of friends have been buying Chinese recipe books. Every other time, they will produce beautiful bakes from those Chinese books. So that tempted me to buy some Chinese books when I was in Taipei recently. Even though I might not be able to understand all the words, I know I can rely on some of my friends for the translation. Heehee...
Most of the bakers would have owned this book, took me so long to get one now. Recommended by my baking kaki and some other bloggers too. Here is my first bake from her book - 手作花样威风蛋糕 by Noriko Ozawa.
Recipe for Orange Peel Chiffon Cake, modified from 手作花样威风蛋糕 by Noriko Ozawa (translation based on my limited knowledge)
(Makes a 20cm/8" chiffon cake)
180g Egg whites (approx. 5 eggs)
80g Caster sugar
70g Egg yolks (approx. 5 eggs)
60g Vegetable oil
90g Cake flour
1 1/2tsp Orange extract
50g Orange Peel, cut into smaller pieces
1. In a mixing bowl, add in egg yolks, extract, water and oil. Add in the cake flour. Using a whisk mix till the mixture is well incorporated and smooth. Add in the orange peel and mix well.
2. In another mixing bowl of egg whites, whisk the egg whites till foamy. Then add in 1/3 of the sugar mix with corn flour.
3. Continue beating the whites until glossy. Add in another one 1/3 of the sugar and flour.
4. When it's thicker, add in the remaining sugar and beat till stiff peak, or until fine and glossy.
5. Take one third of the meringue and add into the egg batter. Fold well.
6. Pour the batter into the remaining egg whites and fold to incorporate thoroughly.
7. Pour the batter into a prepared tube pan.
8. Bake in a preheated oven of 160C for 45mins.
9. Invert the chiffon cake pan and let it cool totally before slicing and serving.