Recipe for Tiramisu, adapted from Annielicious.
(Makes a 8" square cake)
8 tsp Instant coffee powder
8 tsp Caster sugar
15 tsp Kahlua (Coffee Liqueur) + 3 tsp Kahlua
500g Mascarpone Cheese
200g Chilled Whipping Cream (I used all of my remaining 245g)
2 large Eggs
1 large pack of Cantreau brand Savoiardi (Sponge Fingers)
Cocoa Powder (To sieve on top before serving)
1. Mix 8 tsp instant coffee powder and 8 tsp caster sugar in a bowl. Add 15tsp Kahlua into the coffee mixture. Stir until coffee and sugar completely melted. (I added about 2 tbsp water to the mixture thereafter)
2. Pour coffee mixture into a dish. Dish length must be longer than the Sponge finger.
3. Whisk cold whipping cream till stiff. Once done, put the cream back to the fridge.
4. Separate egg whites and egg yolks. Beat egg yolk till pale color.
5. In another clean and dry mixing bowl, beat the egg whites till stiff peak.
6. Add mascarpone cheese into a mixing bowl, add egg yolk and mix well.
7. Add in whipping cream, egg whites and 3 tsp kahlua into the mascarpone mixture. Mix until everything is incorporated. Put the whole bowl of mixture back to the fridge for later use.
8. Prepare a 8" square mousse cake ring.
1st Layer – Dip sponge fingers (Sugary side) into the coffee mixture. Do not wet the sponge finger too much. Just dip in, count 1, 2, 3. And you will have to take the sponge finger away.
Cut the sponge fingers to fit onto the cake tin (if required). Put dipped sponge fingers into the cake tin, sugary side up.
2nd Layer - Spread the creamy mixture on top of the sponge fingers. Sift some cocoa powder on top.
3rd Layer – Repeat step 1. Dip sponge fingers into the coffee mixture (non-Sugary Side this time). Put another layer of sponge fingers on top of the cream.
4th Layer - Spread the creamy mixture on top. Again, sift some cocoa powder on top.
5th Layer - Dip whole sponge fingers into the coffee mixture. (I wanted to use up the coffee mixture, so I dipped the whole sponge fingers into the coffee mixture).
6th Layer - Cover the sponge fingers with the remaining creamy mixture. Place the cake ring on a cake container and keep it into the fridge for at least 8 hours. I kept mine overnight.
1. Using a spatula, loose the sides of the cake ring, Remove the cake ring from the cake.
2. Sift cocoa powder on top. Wipe away the cocoa powder at the side to give it a clean finishing.
3. Use the sponge fingers to place it at the side of the cake. As I do not have sufficient, I cut some into half.
4. Serve the cake.