However, as I had no Pork Floss on hand, and not wanting to have plain steamed pumpkin buns, I decided to spread some peanut butter on the dough instead.
Recipe for Steamed Pumpkin Peanut Butter Buns, adapted from Honey Bee Sweets.
Makes 40 buns
120g Hong Kong flour
1/2 tsp Instant yeast
80g Warm water
pinch of salt
- Knead all the ingredients together till it comes together to form a soft, smooth dough. Chill in the fridge up to 6-8hrs before use.
200g Starter dough (all of starter dough)
3tsp Instant yeast
600g pau flour
360g Steamed pumpkin (I added half canned pumpkin puree & fresh steamed pumpkin. I added slightly more pumpkin than the recipe. Therefore, the dough was slightly moist)
80g Caster sugar
1/2tsp Fine salt
Creamy Peanut Butter
- Place everything in a large mixing bowl and knead till it comes together. Continue kneading till it is elastic and smooth.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl and let proof till double in size. Punch out the air and divide the dough into 4 portions. Roll round and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Take a dough portion and roll it out with into a big flat rectangle. Spread them with creamy peanut butter. (I made two rolls of plain buns and two rolls of peanut butter buns.)
- Roll it up from the long side like a swiss roll and then slice it up into 10 equal portions. Place on a grease proof paper and let proof in the steamer (cold) for 10 minutes.
- Start the stove fire, once the water boils, lower it to medium low and let steam for 10 minutes. Then turn off the fire and let the buns stay into the steamer for another 5 minutes before taking them out. (As I need to steam twice, I removed the buns immediately after steaming and put in the second batch.)