Carrot Cake

Carrot cake revisited. I've baked this carrot many many times. Each time I baked, I tweaked it a bit. Sometimes I add extra spice, other times, I add raisins. After baking so many times, this was the best carrot cake I've tried so far. When I brought it to my friend's house, she said it was better than Cedele's carrot cake. Ahem...I was *flushed* flattered. The carrot cake was very moist with an assorted texture for the palate. I suspected the rum (added in from the raisins) brought out the taste of cinnamon very well.
Recipe for Carrot Cake, modified from Yochana's blog.
Makes a 8" round cake


Ingredients:
3 Eggs
150g Milk
210g Brown sugar
1/2 tsp Fine salt
180g Oil (I use rice bran oil)
1 tsp Vanilla extract
285g Plain flour
1 tsp Baking powder
1 tsp Baking soda
1 1/2tsp Cinnamon powder
100g Black raisins pre-soaked in rum
230g Shredded carrots
150g Walnuts, coarsely chopped


Cream Cheese Frosting:
250g Cream cheese
70g Butter, softened
60g Icing sugar
1/2 Grated lemon zest
1 tbsp Lemon Juice


Sweetened Shredded Coconut for decoration (optional)


Method:

  1. Whisk the eggs and sugar until creamy.
  2. Add in the milk gradually, then the salt.
  3. Pour in the oil slowly and mix well. Then add in vanilla extract.
  4. Add in the sifted flour mixture - flour, baking powder, baking soda and ground cinnamon. Stir to incorporate.
  5. Use a spatula to mix in the raisins (together with the rum), carrots and walnuts.
  6. Pour into 2 8" round cake pan.
  7. Bake in a preheat oven of 180C for about 25-30 mins, or till a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
  8. Cream Cheese topping: Cream the cream cheese until smooth. Add in the butter and continue creaming until well blended. Sift in the icing sugar and continue creaming till lighter. Add in the lemon zest and lemon juice. Mix till well combined.

Assembly:

  1. Ensure that the cake is thoroughly cooled before frosting.
  2. Slice off one of the domed part of the cake.
  3. Spread some cream cheese evenly on the 1st layer of the cake.
  4. Then topped with the 2nd layer of the cake.
  5. Frost the sides and the top completely.
  6. Sprinkle some shredded coconut on top.
  7. For the centre piece, I mixed the remaining carrot cake piece from #2 above with some cream cheese to make it into a ball. Then frost it all over with cream cheese and use it as my decorated topper.

28 comments:

Cathysjoy said...
February 10, 2012 at 9:06 AM

looks very yummy, thanks for sharing =)

DG said...
February 10, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Very generous of cream cheese topping, I like it! I certainly will try this when I have a chance. :)

wensdelight said...
February 10, 2012 at 11:00 AM

With cream cheese frosting...looks so yummy!

passionbaker said...
February 10, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Thanks Cathy.

passionbaker said...
February 10, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Yes, I like it with enough cream cheese, but not overly powering! :)

passionbaker said...
February 10, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Thanks Wen. I like it this way. :)

Dorisho said...
February 10, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Jane, why yr carrot cake got something sticking our.. ha!ha! innovation

passionbaker said...
February 10, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Haha...It was supposed to be a "topper". Is it very obscene? Oops...

Sue said...
February 11, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Oh wow....what a beautiful looking cake. I like carrot cake but didnt have the chance to do it yet. Your recipe looks simple enough to follow...hee hee hee... Good, I like simple ingredients and instructions lolz...

I'll definitely coming to your blog again when I want to bake this :)

quizzine said...
February 11, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Looks really good! Going to bookmark this as I 'owe' my colleague a carrot cake for a long time... How long do I have to soak the raisins? Any alternative other than rum?

Bea said...
February 11, 2012 at 6:09 AM

Hi!

I enjoy your posts a lot hence why I have nominiated you for the Liebster Award on my blog page Mama Bea's. Do have a look as I have nominated other blog members too. May God continue to flourish you with amazing talents, so we can enjoy more of your posts!
http://bea-passionate.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/mama-beas-big-announcement.html

Mama Bea (aka Bea)

passionbaker said...
February 12, 2012 at 7:58 AM

Thanks Sue. Hope you will try it soon and let me know if you like it! :)

passionbaker said...
February 12, 2012 at 7:59 AM

Thanks quizzine. Then you'll have to keep your promise soon! I soaked my raisins at least 30mins before I baked. You can soak them in orange juice or carrot juice. I think they'll be even more flavourful!

passionbaker said...
February 12, 2012 at 7:59 AM

Thanks Mama Bea for the award! I'm so honoured!

shirley@kokken69 said...
February 12, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Ooh, I will have to bookmark this for sure!

Johnnie Wilson said...
February 13, 2012 at 4:47 AM

1. Cake can be divided into five basic types - yeast cakes, cheesecakes, butter cakes, sponge cakes and boxed cakes. Find out how to make these great cake recipes at http://everything-cake.com

passionbaker said...
February 13, 2012 at 9:04 AM

For sure you'll have to try this Shirley!

Edith said...
February 13, 2012 at 10:40 AM

I love carrot cake!

passionbaker said...
February 13, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Pamper yourself and bake this, Edith!

Chewy said...
April 12, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Hi! i have tried a couple of recipes for carrot cake which came out either too soggy or tasted weird. I baked one according to this recipe and added rind of half an orange and it came out wonderfully, not too dry n not too soggy, very flavorful! My family loved it! :) Thanks!

passionbaker said...
April 13, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Hi Chewy,
Thanks. I agree this is one of the best carrot recipe I've tried too! Adding orange rind sounds interesting! Thanks for sharing, I could it next time too! Glad that your family loved it!

claire said...
August 29, 2012 at 12:25 AM

My oven is small. Is it alright to bake 1 at a time? Will the other batter become dense after baking due to the waiting time to bake? Tks!

passionbaker said...
September 2, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Hi Claire,
It is fine to bake one after another. Shouldn't be a problem.

eftalia said...
September 26, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Hi! I just wanted to say thanks for this awesome recipe! I tried it today and it turned out to be really lovely... plus I really love carrot cake! So glad I tried your recipe :)

Anonymous said...
December 3, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Is there enough frosting to cover the whole cake coz it does sound very little. Want to be sure as it wld be awful if I am stuck with a half frosted cake.

Anonymous said...
December 19, 2012 at 6:35 PM

HI,

After whisking the sugar n egg, do i still have to whisk it while adding the milk and oil? Or a simple stir after each addition is fine?

Tried making it today - it took a very long time for the egg & sugar to get creamy. Also the consistency of the cake after baking is not too grainy.. a bit on the dense(kueh) side..

Thank you.

Passionate About Baking said...
December 20, 2012 at 8:30 AM

Hi,
When you add in the milk and oil, you need to whisk it well to combine. Make sure the oil doesn't "float".
The egg and sugar won't get too creamy, ie. it won't turn totally pale yellow. Don't need to whisk till that stage. After baking, it shouldn't be "kueh" like. It should still taste like cake. Maybe your batter was too wet? I'm not too sure. You might want to try again?

Attorneys Anchorage Alaska said...
April 17, 2013 at 5:34 PM

These look and sound amazing! I can’t wait to give this recipe a try!

Post a Comment

Be free with your mind!