"Known as McDonald’s Open Doors, this annual global initiative is back for the third year in Singapore. In Singapore, 5,000 customers have also participated in Open Doors since 2009. A free guided kitchen tour at select McDonald’s restaurants, participants will learn about McDonald’s food from “farm to fork” including:
- how raw ingredients are sourced from a global supply chain with world-class standards for quality, value and sustainability;
- how food is prepared and served to customers hot and fresh with our revolutionary “Made-For-You” kitchen system;
- how we keep our world-famous fries crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside and packed;
- the ingredients that go into their favourite McDonald’s foods such as 100% beef, whole-muscle chicken and ocean-caught white fish; and
- the numerous safety and quality checks in our restaurant kitchens.
Without further ado, let me give you a preview of what is behind the scenes of the world famous yellow arcs.
We were brought to the front counter to see how they organise themselves. In a team of two, one takes orders, and the other is a runner where he/she will bring the prepared food to the counter.
- The kitchen floor is cleaned at least every hour to keep them greasefree.
- Crews have to wash their hands every 15mins.
- When handling raw and cooked food, different gloves have to be used. Blue glove for raw food, and transparent glove for cooked food.
- 100% vegetable oil is used to cook their famous fries. They filter the oil everyday. The oil is changed at least four times a week.
- The food is now made-to-order. Only after you order, they will assemble the burger for you. Therefore, you can always ask for more lettuce, more pickles in your food!