Suddenly I felt like eating chocolate fudge cake. I've made chocolate fudge cakes before, and I usually fall back on this recipe - Steamed Moist Chocolate Cake. This recipe yields a very nice chocky and moist cake. However, this time round, I baked them into cupcakes instead. The baked cupcakes were dense and moist. The baked texture was different from the steamed texture. It makes quite a good dense cupcakes.
Recipe for Chocolate Fudge Cupcakes, adapted from Peng's Kitchen.
(Makes approx. 16 regular cupcakes)
150g Liv unsalted butter
145g Fine sugar
200g Evaporated milk
2 Eggs, lightly beaten
125g Plain flour
70g Dutch-processed cocoa powder
1/2 tsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp Baking soda
1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- Combine sugar, evaporated milk, vanilla essence and butter in a saucepan. Stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved and butter has melted. Remove from heat.
- Add the beaten eggs into the slightly cooled mixture and stir till well mixed.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda into a large mixing bowl. Add the eggs mixture over the flour and stir till smooth. (Batter should be runny).
- Scoop them into muffin trays lined with paper cups.
- Bake at preheated oven at 180C for 20 mins. Or insert a skewer into the cake and comes out clean.
- Leave to cool completely before frosting.
35g Cocoa powder, sifted
50g Corn flour, sifted
1 cup evaporated milk (approx. 250g)
2 Egg yolks
100g Caster sugar
1 tsp Vanilla extract
50g Unsalted butter
- Mix all ingredients well (except the butter. stir over double boiler at low heat till thickened. (takes abt 10mins to thicken)
- Add butter, turn off fire and stir till the butter melts.
- Spread the warm fudge over the cupcake.
- Chill the cake in the fridge before serving.